Derived directly from United States motorcycle board track (motordrome) racing in the early 1900s, the very first carnival motordrome appeared at Coney Island amusement park (New York) in 1911. The following year portable tracks began to appear on traveling carnivals. By 1915 the first “silodromes” with vertical walls appeared and were soon dubbed the “Wall of Death,” the very first mention being Bridson Greene’s unit in Buffalo, New York. Although not a silo-drome, the large combination motordrome at the 1915 Panama Pacific International Exposition included a perfectly vertical section at the top that was used by both car and motorcycle riders.
The Wall of Death performed during Hellbender’s Anniversary event at the end of August, beginning of September for weekend performance.